Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Lis Wiehl: Face of Betrayal

In the first book her triple threat series, Lis Wiehl mixes murder and politics, and how perception is everything for both:

A seventeen year old goes missing while walking her dog, normally this would only gain some attention from the media but Katie Converse was a senate page and all have to wonder what type of foul play may be occurring. So the search for Katie not only at home, but who was Katie as she was working as a page, who did she interact with who did she see. Katie may have presented herself as a good girl, but perception is everything and people want to know the truth. The media storm of this case has attracted three friends to the case all with different occupations and callings, television reporter Cassidy Shaw, Federal Prosecutor Allison Pierce, and FBI Special Agent Nicole Hedges. All have a different stake in finding out what happened to Katie and it's going to take all three of them to figure it out before more people get hurt.

The more I read this book the more I equated it to the Netflix show The Killing as it is a mixture of murder and politics but with three women trying to work out the crime all with alternative motives. It also does into get as dark as the Killing does, it never seems to go over the edge as I would have liked it too. There are some good twists and turns thrown in to the book that will make you sway back and forth about who you think did it, but I personally was able to figure it out quite a bit before the end.  I was hoping that Wiehl would be able to shock me by having a different outcome, but she did not, my first instinct was the right one. This is very much a who-done-it mystery book and not one of suspense and thrills, so if that is what you are looking for that then this book is not for you.

Wiehl tries to have three main characters in this book as each is given a point of view and what they are doing to help the case but I felt that Allison was the true main character of the case. Personally I really began to dislike Cassidy by the end of the book (this does not mean that I did not feel sorry for her and her domestic abuse situation) but I felt that she used her friends on more than on occasions just to get ahead in her job. I understand that she is a reporter and doing her job but to push her friends as she did for the facts and the exclusive (which I still think they should not have given her) made me cringe each time. They were putting their own jobs in jeopardy just to help her and she never really seemed grateful for it. I felt that in this book you never really get to know Nicole and she takes a back seat to the other two characters as there seemed to be very few chapters or sections from her point of view. Nicole was only really mentioned if Cassidy or Allison is there.

I found that Allison as a character that was portrayed with too much religious beliefs for me as I do not think that her time spent at Church or talking/praying to God really added anything to the plot or story line, it was just there. If everything was connected back to a religion or a Church somehow I would have understood adding this in, but none of it was so these aspects felt more like filler points to me, get a few extra pages in the book here and there. I think maybe Wiehl was using it as a way to separate her from the other characters but I think her occupation, her personality in general and really being the middle ground between the other two was enough to make her distinct

This book was okay, I did not enjoy it as much as the other Wiehl book that I have read, and while I found the mystery aspect of the book was fairly well done I was still able to put it together well before the end of the novel. Overall, not a bad read, and people who like who-done-it mysteries will probably enjoy it. I would read another book by Wiehl, but probably not in this series as I was not a fan of one of the "main" characters and Allison was a little too religious for me without it linking back to the actual story.


Enjoy!!!

If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2012/03/angela-gerst-crack-in-everything.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2012/05/maricia-clark-guilt-by-association.html  http://j9books.blogspot.ca/2014/06/lis-wiehl-matter-of-trust.html

No comments:

Post a Comment