Monday, July 16, 2012

Gemma Halliday: Alibi in High Heels

This is the fourth book in the High Heel series. You will want to read the first three books Spying in High Heels, Killer in High Heels and Undercover in High Heels, before you pick this book up as with each book there is the development of the main characters, the relationships and the "world" that they live in, which is one of high fashion and murder.

In the fourth book Maddie's dream of  going to Paris is coming true, but Maddie is a fool if she does not think that murder will also follow her there.

Maddie cannot believe that Paris is in her future. That her shoes will walk down the catwalk at Paris fashion week, with actual models showing off her designs. As Maddie makes her way to Paris with her Mom and Mrs. R in Tow (not Maddie's idea i'll tell you that) and without Ramirez, Maddie thinks that all her fashion dreams are about to come true. That is until the lead Model in her fashion show ends up dead with a high heel protruding from her neck that looks very familair and the manner of death is very familiar to Maddie. The evidence is all pointing towards Maddie being the killer and it is up to her to find the real murder before they decide to make Maddie disappear as well, but more importantly her design may fail to grace the catwalk in Paris Fashion Week.

I really enjoy this series. I really like having Halliday as my go to author after I have read some more serious novels. The way that she can easily mix humour, Maddie's antics and murder are fantastic. I find that I am never bored when I read this book as I am ever waiting to see what Maddie and her group of friends and family will do next. These are the books that you use to take your mind off of everything else that is going on in your life and sit down just for the pleasure of reading. I think individuals who are a fan of the "cozy" mystery genre, that includes such authors as Janet Evanovich and Stephanie Bond (both authors I have read and enjoyed) will enjoy Halliday as well.

I like the way this story takes off and how each book Halliday has taken the opportunity to develop Maddie as a character as well as all of her relationships. This is not to say that Maddie does not get into the same trouble as usual, but especially in this books, there are a few events that really change Maddie. The relationship with Maddie and Ramirez really heats up in this book; well I think that it brings Ramirez to the boiling point with Maddie and her antics. The one thing I do not understand about Maddie and Ramirez's relationship is that Ramirez knows who Maddie is and what she is like when a mystery presents itself, yet he seems to constantly wanting to change her (though it would probably be for the better as she would get into less trouble but what fun would that be).

I am really excited to read the next book in this series, after I have read some more serious novels. The end of this book really has a great cliffhanger to it, and you will feel the need to read the next book if you are a fan of this series. This is a great series that I really enjoy escaping each time I pick a Halliday book up. I think I am going to have to look into her other series as well to see if they are as good as the high heels series.

Enjoy!!!
If You Like This,
Check These Out Too:
   

1 comment:

  1. I think I have the first book in this series on my Kindle but I'm not sure. I think I'll have to get started on the series soon though :)
    -Kimberly @ Turning The Pages

    ReplyDelete